Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
*This job is set to begin full time in the 2023-2024 school year.
Direct and manage overall campus operations. Responsible for leadership of the campus instructional program ensuring high standards of instruction and student achievement, compliance with district policies, application of instructional programs, and effective operation of all campus activities.
Master’s degree from accredited university
Texas principal or other appropriate Texas certificate
Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Ability to evaluate instructional program and teaching effectiveness
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to implement policy and procedures
Ability to interpret data
Excellent organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
3 years experience as a classroom teacher
3 years experience in instructional leadership roles
Experience in secondary administration preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Monitor instructional processes to ensure that program activities are related to outcomes and use findings to take corrective actions where necessary.
- Provide instructional resources and materials needed to accomplish instructional goals.
- Establish clear expectations for staff performance with regard to instructional strategies, classroom management, and communication with the public.
- Foster collegiality and team building among staff members. Encourage their active involvement in decision-making process.
- Solicit regular input from campus-level committee about planning, operation, supervision, and evaluation of campus education program. Include students and community representatives when appropriate.
School or Organization Improvement
- Build a common vision for school improvement with staff. Direct planning activities and implement programs to ensure attainment of school’s mission.
- Establish campus performance objectives for Academic Excellence Indicators using the campus planning process and involving site-based decision making committee. Demonstrate campus progress using results to promote school improvement.
- Provide opportunities for interactive communication with superintendent, staff, students, parents, and community.
- Act as campus behavioral coordinator in accordance with state laws and regulations.
- Work with faculty and students to develop a student discipline management system that results in positive student behavior and enhances the school climate.
- Ensure that school rules are uniformly applied and that student discipline is appropriate and equitable in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Conduct conferences about student and school issues with parents, students, and teachers.
Management of Fiscal, Administrative, and Facilities Functions
- Comply with district policies, state and federal laws, and regulations affecting schools.
- Develop and administer campus budgets based on documented program needs and estimated enrollment ensuring that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required including accurate and timely reports of maximum attendance to requisition textbooks.
- Manage use of school facilities. Oversee maintenance of facilities to ensure a clean, orderly, and safe campus.
[Secondary Principals: Direct and manage extracurricular and intramural programs including management of multiple activity funds.]
- Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal. Approve all personnel assigned to campus.
- Observe employee performance, record observations, and conduct evaluation conferences with staff.
- Coach staff and help them identify and develop appropriate professional growth opportunities as well as accomplish improvement goals.
- Work with campus-level planning and decision-making committees to plan professional development activities.
School or Community Relations
- Articulate the school’s mission to the community and solicit its support in realizing the mission.
- Demonstrate awareness of school and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs using appropriate and effective techniques to encourage community and parent involvement.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Supervise, evaluate, and recommend the hiring and firing of staff assigned to campus including assistant principal(s), teachers, counselor(s), librarian(s), instructional aides, clerical support staff, and custodians.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals.
Posture: Frequent sitting and standing; occasional bending/stooping, pushing,/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 50 pounds); occasional physical restraint of students to control behavior
Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours; work inside and outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather), exposure to noise; occasional districtwide and statewide travel
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
*This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.