Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Provide instruction and coach students to develop skills and ability to excel in assigned sport(s). Contribute to the education program as a whole and to the growth of students involved in athletics.
Valid Texas teaching certificate
Current first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), and automated external defibrillator (AED) certificate
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Knowledge of coaching techniques and procedures
Knowledge of University Interscholastic League (UIL) rules
Ability to instruct and supervise student-athletes
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical (including if bus driving duties are required)
Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Use a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs and improve the abilities of student-athletes in the sport assigned.
- Assist with the management and supervision of athletic activities, contests, and practice sessions to promote individual growth in athletic skills, teamwork, and good sportsmanship.
- Work with other members of school staff to plan and implement instructional goals and objectives to ensure the overall educational development of student-athletes.
- Assist with the establishment of performance criteria for competition and evaluation of students’ athletic abilities initially and on a regular basis. Model performance criteria and physical movements required for successful student performance of the sport.
- Take all necessary precautions to protect student-athletes, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist with coordinating of travel arrangements to out-of-town events. (Drive bus to transport students to out-of-district competitions (optional)).
- Ensure compliance with all UIL rules.
- Assist with the development and coordination of a continuing evaluation of the coaching program and make suggestions based on findings.
- Accompany and supervise student-athletes during athletic competitions in assigned sports both at-home and on out-of-town trips.
- Instruct and advise students on NCAA regulations with regard to academic requirements for scholarships and recruiting practices.
- Apply and enforce student discipline during athletic contests, practice sessions, and while on trips off school property in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Encourage, by example and through instruction, sportsmanlike conduct in all phases of athletic participation.
- Maintain open communication with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Assist in the selection of equipment and instructional materials.
- Assist with the compilation, maintenance, and filing of all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Assist with the process of cleaning, repairing, and storing all campus athletic equipment.
- Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Athletic equipment, standard office equipment including computer and peripherals, and other instructional equipment; automated external defibrillator (AED); operate school bus
Posture: Prolonged standing; kneeling, squatting, bending, and stooping; frequent driving; moderate grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, and reaching
Motion: Frequent walking and physical movements associated with sport(s) assigned
Lifting: Frequently light lifting (less than 15 pounds); occasional moderate lifting or carrying (15-44 pounds)
Environment: Work outside (exposure to sun, heat, cold, and inclement weather) and inside; frequent exposure to noise; frequent districtwide and statewide travel; frequent prolonged and irregular hours; moderate exposure to vehicle fumes and work around moving vehicles
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress