Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Primary Purpose: |
Promote positive public relations between the school district and community. Prepare and provide information to the public about the activities, goals, and policies of the school district. Responsible for video production and web-based content highlighting students, staff, programs, and District messages. Distribute pertinent information about the district and its activities to employees. Organize and manage the routine work activities of the public information office.
Education / Certification:
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a related field
Special Knowledge / Skills:
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skillsDemonstrated skills in writing, editing, and public speakingThorough knowledge of media relations and public relations functionsAbility to implement policy and proceduresAbility to interpret dataAbility to use personal computer to design and produce district publications; create and manipulate spread sheets and data basesAbility to work with social media tools and website content toolsAbility to work within established deadlines, self start, and multi-taskStrong background of web-based audience engagement techniques and analyticsGraphic design for social mediaSkills necessary to perform webpage maintenance duties on a professional level
Three years experience in journalism, communications, or PR related field preferred Successful experience in video production and social media content production preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Public and Community Relations
1. Direct and manage the district’s public information activities.
2. Serve as the information liaison between the school system and the community.
3. Serve as district spokesperson and coordinate media coverage.
4. Prepare press releases and publish articles and photos in local media and other publications.
5. Help school personnel publicize and promote performances, exhibitions, displays, or special programs sponsored by the schools.
6. Design, prepare, and edit district publications and multi-media presentations, including newsletters, recruitment brochures, and programs for special events.
7. Serve as district representative on community committees as required.
8. Ensure that public information activities contribute to the attainment of district goals and objectives.
9. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
10. Keep informed of developing communication trends and techniques.
11. Be prepared to make time-sensitive changes to the website and social media in support of district needs.
12. Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
13. Participate in training options to enhance personal skills and help ensure exemplary operation of the public information function.
14. Develop frequent web, print, and/or video publications for internal and external communications as assigned.
15. Take photographs and video for district publications, presentations, and displays.
16. Assist in the organization of district special events (i.e. Convocation, Retirement Reception, and Closing Ceremonies).
17. Organize programs and events that highlight superior work of district employees.
Policies, Reports, and Law
18. Help the superintendent develop and publicize reports related to the performance of the district and articulate district goals and objectives.
19. Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in the public information area.
20. Administer the public information budget and ensure that programs are cost effective and that funds are managed prudently.
21. Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program need.
Computer, digital camera, video camera, copier, printer, and graphic design and presentation software.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Occasional prolonged and irregular hours. Meet deadlines and complete multiple tasks at one time. Occasional prolonged standing, stooping, walking and lifting boxes of publications.