Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Job Title: Groundskeeper
Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Director of Maintenance
Work Days: 252
Dept. /School: Maintenance
Date Revised: March 2023
To maintain safe and attractive yards, gardens, and flowerbeds district-wide.
High school diploma or GED
Valid Texas driver’s license
Ability to follow oral and written instructions and the ability to communicate effectively
Ability to operate 75 horsepower tractor and landscaping equipment
Ability to operate riding or power mower, power tools, and hand tools
Ability to work in a team setting or as an individual
Two (2) years of related experience (preferred)
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Grounds and Landscaping
1. Mow and detail all district grounds.
2. Care for seed, sod, trees, shrubs, and flowers by pruning, fertilizing, mulching, maintaining said beds, and controlling weeds.
3. Plant shrubs and vegetation.
4. Collect and dispose of leaves, dirt, rubbish, and refuse from district facilities.
5. Assist with the inspection, repair, and installation of sprinkler systems.
6. Assist with the preparation of athletic fields for games, including chalking fields.
7. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
8. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
9. Correct unsafe conditions in the work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to the supervisor immediately.
10. Help keep vehicles, equipment, and tools in safe operating condition.
11. Inspect and adjust tools and equipment for safety and efficiency and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
12. Assist with maintenance of district property through asphalt paving, concrete work, and fence installation.
13. Maintain trash-free grounds, empty trash barrels as needed, and remove/dispose of all unwanted items that could cause damage to personnel and/or district property.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
15. Be professional, respectful, and courteous to parents, students, and school staff at all times
Tractor and mower, riding and power mower, gas-powered weed trimmer, blower, edger, sprayer, garden and hand tools, posthole auger, and aerator. Light truck or van.
Tobacco and Alcohol-Free, Gun-Free, Drug-Free
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Typical school atmosphere. Frequent interruptions. Strenuous standing, stooping, walking, climbing ladders, bending, pushing, and pulling. Must be physically fit and able to lift and carry items weighing up to 100 pounds. Working indoors, outdoors, in extreme temperatures including hot and cold temperature swings, inclement weather, with exposure to dust, chemicals (herbicides and fertilizer), loud noises, and working on slippery or uneven walking surfaces. Frequent district-wide travel.
Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions, or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable.