Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Help meet the physical and instructional needs of individual students with disabilities inside and outside the classroom. Assist with implementing Individual Education Plans (IEP), including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under the general supervision of the principal and the immediate direction of a certified teacher. This position will potentially work with students from all five campuses.
High school diploma or GED
Valid Texas educational aide certificate or 48 hours of college credit (Preferred)
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Two years of experience working with children (preferred)
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Help meet the individual needs of students.
- Assume responsibility for learning and adapting to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Work with assigned students or small groups to develop motor skills and conduct instructional exercises assigned by the teacher.
- Assist assigned students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This may include lunchroom, bus, and/or playground duty.
- Keep the teacher informed of the special needs or problems of assigned students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in professional development programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
Wheelchair lift and ramp. (Note: describe other equipment used based on the condition of a student assigned, i.e., adaptive equipment, oxygen gauges, etc.)
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing, and pulling; regular heavy lifting of students; biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases.