Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Plan, implement, and evaluate a comprehensive program of guidance to school assigned, including counseling services. Provide a proactive development guidance program to encourage all students to maximize personal growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Teach school guidance curriculum to students.
• Help teachers incorporate guidance-related information into existing curriculum.
• Provide guidance to individuals and groups of students to develop education plans and career awareness.
• Counsel individuals and small groups.
• Consult parents, teachers, administrators, and other relevant people to enhance their work with students.
• Work with school personnel and school district residents to obtain resources for students.
• Use an effective referral process to help students and others use special programs and services.
• Participate in planning and evaluation of campus standardized testing program.
• Schedule and interpret tests and other assessments appropriately.
• Plan school guidance and counseling programs to ensure that they meet identified needs.
• Develop and coordinate a continuing evaluation of guidance program and make changes based on findings.
• Compile, maintain, and file all required physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents.
• Comply with policies established by federal, state, TEA and board policy in guidance and counseling area.
• Comply with all district and campus routines and regulations.
• Maintain a positive and effective relationship with supervisors.
• Communicate effectively with colleagues, students, and parents.
• Model behavior that is professional, ethical, and responsible.
• Participate in professional development to improve skills related to job assignment.
• Serve as 504 coordinator including preparing and maintaining paperwork and scheduling and conducting meetings.
• Perform other tasks as may be assigned by Supervisor/Superintendent.
Knowledge of counseling procedures, student appraisal, and career development. Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in guidance counseling, a valid Texas counseling certificate, and three years teaching experience preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, administration, staff, parents, and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.