Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Responsible for administering the school bus transportation program and vehicle/equipment maintenance programs consistent with Board Policies, administrative regulations and procedures, and requirements of regulatory agencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Develop and maintain a transportation program that provides pupils in the school district who utilize busing a safe program which delivers them to and from school and school activities on a timely basis.
- Develop and maintain a vehicle and equipment maintenance program that results in 90% or greater availability of equipment by category.
- Account for all equipment and property assigned to the Department.
- Assess transportation program needs.
- Interpret state and federal laws and guidelines as they relate to school transportation.
- Stays current on Transportation law, policy and related activities.
- Develop safe and efficient routing and scheduling of buses.
- Develop student transportation rules; orient students and parents to rules, bus routes, and schedules; maintain discipline by use of conduct/safety referral forms.
- Supervise the vehicle and equipment maintenance program including preventative maintenance, facilities and cost records.
- Prepare and administer budget.
- Cooperate with other departments as their specific duties relate to the transportation and maintenance programs.
- Complete all required Texas Education Agency reports.
- Hire, train, supervise, and terminate personnel as necessary.
- Plan staff development and training activities for assigned personnel.
- Promote positive school/community relations.
- Develop and administer accurate accounting records for repair parts, labor, equipment and other costs.
- Work with the purchasing department in establishing standards, quantities and specifications for the purchase of supplies, equipment, and other items necessary for Transportation, including buses.
- Assist in planning transportation facilities and use.
- Maintain high standards of safety in all phases of the transportation program.
- Maintain the Staffing Plan with the type and quantity of positions necessary for the conduct of the maintenance and transportation program within budget allocations.
- Advise the Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Operations on matters involving student transportation.
- Serve as TISD's contract representative for any equipment maintenance or transportation contracts.
- Contract for commercial buses as necessary.
- Oversee payroll operations.
- Be on twenty-four hour call.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Supervisor/Superintendent.
Manage all personnel assigned to the Transportation Department. Is responsible for the overall operations of the department. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the district policy and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATIONS Must pay attention to detail and strive for perfection; must be able to speak and write effectively; must possess leadership qualities and have a positive mental attitude; must delegate responsibilities and manage personnel and resources to achieve department and district objectives; must be able to manage an operation that begins at 5:30 a.m. and closes at 6:00 p.m. on normal school days and late night/weekend operation for field trips. Must present a positive role model.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelors Degree in Business, Management, Education is preferred, but other appropriate certifications may be considered in lieu of a degree. TAPT Certification as a school bus official is preferred. Experience in personnel transportation considered a plus.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general educational periodicals, professional journals, legal documents, technical procedures, or governmental laws and regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from administrators, faculty, parents, students and the community. Strong communications, public relations, and interpersonal skills.
Possess the ability to demonstrate and interpret basic mathematic skills.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSE, AND REGISTRATIONS
Must be able to obtain a Texas Class B CDL with a passenger, school bus and air brake endorsement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk, see and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus. Must be able, if required to operate a school bus.
Regular district wide travel to multiple campuses is required.