Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Job Title: High School/Middle School Special Education/Life Skills Teacher Start Date: Immediate
Reports to: Campus Principal Pay Scale: CISD Teacher Scale (187-day contract)
School: Middle School/High School
Provide special education students with learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to match student ability levels. Work in self-contained, team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with required Special Education endorsements
- Demonstrated competency in the area assigned
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process
- Knowledge of Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
- Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction for special needs
- Ability to understand and effectively utilize web-based systems for documentation procedures and communication, goal development and modification, progress monitoring, performance assessment, accommodations and modifications, program supports and overall IEP information
- Strong and effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience as a secondary Special Education or Life Skills teacher preferred, but not required
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the ARD Committee process for each student assigned.
- Implement an instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Present subject matter effectively and according to guidelines established by IEP. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media including technology to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned
- Participate in ARD Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Participate in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional media.
- Provide special education services and implementation of the IEP for homebound students served within CISD.
Student Growth and Development:
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP
- Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Consult district and outside resource people regarding education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
- Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
Classroom Management and Organization:
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior and administer discipline including intervening in crisis situations and physically restraining students as necessary according to IEP.
- Consult with classroom teachers regarding management of student behavior according to IEP.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Plan and assign the work of teacher aide(s) and oversee completion.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Follow all district safety and health protocols and emergency procedures.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking
Lifting: May require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and positioning of students with physical disabilities, control behavior through physical restraint, assist non-ambulatory students, and lift and move adaptive and other classroom equipment.
Environment: May be exposed to biological hazards and fluids.
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress.
Submit application and any supporting documents to:
Jimmy Jackson, Clifton High School Principal
1102 Key Ave
Clifton, Texas 76634
Karen Schasteen, Clifton ISD Special Education Director
1000 Key Ave
Clifton, Texas 76634