Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Job Title: Assistant Band Director Start Date: July 26, 2021
Reports to: Campus Principal/Head Band Director Pay Scale: Teacher Scale (207 day contract + stipend)
School: Middle School/High School
Assist in the direction and management of the Clifton ISD band program for grades 6-12. Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences and provide an opportunity to participate in extracurricular band activities. Assist in planning activities to achieve district, region, and state recognition and ensure compliance with all state, UIL, and district requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with appropriate certification in Music
- Knowledge of overall operation of a band program
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing band
- Ability to manage budget and personnel
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Ability to attract and sustain band participation with students in grades 6-12
- Ability to interpret data and evaluate student performances
- Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
- High energy, positive attitude, and team player
- Experience as an assistant band director preferred, but not required.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Under the guidance of the Head Band Director, direct instrumental performers, including marching band, concert band, soloists, and ensembles.
- At the direction of the Head Band Director, establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements, and verify each student’s eligibility to participate in band.
- Along with the Head Band Director, provide for band participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, football games, pep rallies, parades, and UIL contests.
- Support band booster club activities.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment.
- Work with staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods to ensure maximum student participation and retention in the band program.
- Evaluate to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
Student Growth and Development
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Be a positive role model for students and support mission of the school district.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Create an environment conducive to learning.
- Manage student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Accompany and supervise students on out-of-town trips and activities and arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events, as needed.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
Budget and Inventory
- Administer budget based on documented program needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely and under the direction of the Head Band Director.
- Coordinate fundraising activities and manage funds.
- Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets related to the program.
- Oversee cleaning, repairing, and storing of all instruments and equipment.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, UIL rules, and board policy in the band area.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; automated external defibrillator (AED)
- Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Frequent walking/marching
- Lifting: Regular moderate lifting and carrying (15–44 pounds); may lift and move musical instruments
- Environment: Work outside and inside; exposure to extreme temperatures (hot, cold, and inclement weather), humidity, and prolonged sunlight; work on uneven or slippery surfaces; frequent exposure to noise
- Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours.
Submit application and any supporting documents to:
Michael Kusler, Middle School Principal
1102 Key Ave
Clifton, Texas 76634