Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
JOB TITLE: Director of Special Education
WAGE/HOUR STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Deputy Superintendent of Instructional Services
DEPT./SCHOOL: Special Education
Direct the district's special education program to provide support services, instructional programs, and individualized programs to meet the needs of all special education students and ensure compliance with all state, federal, and local requirements.
Master's degree in educational administration
Texas mid-management or other appropriate Texas certificate
Valid Texas teaching certificate with special education endorsement
Understanding of the individual needs of special needs students
Ability to communicate with all levels of special needs students and their parents
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
3-5 years teaching experience in special education
Two years supervisory experience
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Direct special education services to meet students' needs.
2. Encourage and support the development of innovative instructional programs, helping teachers to pilot such efforts when appropriate.
3. Plan the necessary time, resources, and materials to support subordinates in accomplishing educational goals.
4. Manage the special education referral process; work collaboratively regarding the Rtl process, ensure appropriate student assessment; provide guidance regarding placement and program management for individual students.
5. Ensure that student progress is evaluated on a regular, systematic basis, and the findings are used to make programs more effective.
6. Supervise and monitor the admission, review, and dismissal (ARD) process district wide.
7. Participate in committee meetings to facilitate the appropriate placement and development of individual education plans (IEP) for students according to district procedures.
8. Supervise transition services for special education students entering and exiting public school programs.
9. Recruit, train, and supervise all special education personnel and make sound recommendations about personnel placement, assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
10. Evaluate job performance of employees to ensure effectiveness.
11. Develop training options and improvement plans for personnel assigned to ensure the best operation in the area of special education.
12. Prepare, review, and revise job descriptions in special education department.
13. Ensure that programs are cost effective and that funds are managed prudently.
14. Compile budgets and cost estimates based on documented program needs.
15. Implement the policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy in the area of special education.
16. Work cooperatively and provide consulting services to principals, administrators, and teachers to encourage innovative instructional programs.
17. Recommend instructional materials that respond to student needs and approve department purchase orders.
18. Provide leadership in the formulation and implementation of contracts for eligible handicapped students receiving services outside of the district.
19. Serve as district liaison to community agencies providing services to students and notify parents and students of available community and military services.
20. Participate in professional organizations and serve on community boards.
21. Serve as resource person in the design and equipping of physical facilities for individuals with disabilities.
22. Prepare and submit federal applications for special education.
23. Establish and maintain open lines of communication by conducting conferences with appropriate staff, parents and community members as vital issues arise.
24. Obtain and use evaluative findings, including student achievement data, to examine special education program effectiveness.
25. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required including federal budget and confidential records.
Supervise and evaluate the performance of special education coordinator, diagnosticians, LSSPs, special education counselor, speech therapists, itinerant behavior specialist, autism specialist, vision teacher, outreach teacher, transition specialist, A.P.E. teacher, and departmental secretaries.
Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written); interpret policy, procedures, and data; coordinate; direct district functions; and maintain emotional control under stress.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent district wide travel and occasional statewide travel; occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
Copperas Cove ISD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, or age in its programs, activities or employment practices. For inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies, contact: Director of Human Resources, (254) 547-4460,408 S MAIN, Copperas Cove, TX 76522.