Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
Job Description for Payroll/Finance Specialist
Job Title: Payroll/Finance Specialist
Reports to: Business Manager
Exemption Status/Test: Nonexempt
Duty Days: 226 days
Dept./School: Business Services
I. Primary Purpose:
Compile and prepare regular district payroll, including related reports and deposits. Work under moderate supervision to ensure accurate and timely preparation of payroll records according to prescribed procedures and regulations.
High school diploma or GED
ISD Business office experience preferred
Knowledge of basic payroll accounting procedures
Ability to maintain accurate and auditable records
Ability to use software to create spreadsheets, databases, and do word processing
Proficiency in keyboarding and file maintenance
Ability to work with numbers in accurate and rapid manner to meet established deadlines
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
2-3 years payroll accounting experience preferred
III. Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare accurate district payroll for distribution to employees following established procedures.
- Receive and audit time sheets for all district employees. Calculate employee wages, salaries, hours worked, overtime pay, and determine withholdings, deductions, and net pay.
- Balance payroll earnings and deductions; initiate related transfers of funds and deposits.
- Maintain district payroll registers, employee payroll information, and other original documentation in an orderly and accurate manner in accordance with state, federal, and district requirements.
- Prepare all maintenance, operations, and food service timesheets for verification.
- Prepare and post all payroll changes including payroll deductions, salary changes, termination, and new employee information.
Records and Reports
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required including maintaining payroll and related files such as payroll records, absent-from-duty reports, and service records.
- Prepare and submit payroll reports and forms including those required by Internal Revenue Service, Texas Workforce Commission, Texas Retirement System, Federal Insurance Contributors’ Act (FICA), Medicare, Texas New Hire Reporting, and Workers’ Compensation Commission.
- Keep records of maintenance, operations and food service overtime, and compensatory time awarded and used.
- Keep accurate records of Food Service sick and personal leave.
- Complete final payoff sheets for all employees leaving the district.
- Work cooperatively with human resource department, principals, department heads, campus and department secretaries, and employees to ensure accuracy of information reported. Resolve payroll problems and inquiries.
- Respond to requests from financial institutions regarding verification of employment.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
IV. Supervisory Responsibilities:
V. Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions; frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions to meet established deadlines; maintain emotional control under stress
This document describes the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Academy ISD (AISD) does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information, or on any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, the district does not discriminate against an employee or applicant who acts to oppose such discrimination or participates in the investigation of a complaint related to a discriminatory employment practice. Employment decisions will be made on the basis of each applicant's job qualifications, experience, and abilities