Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
The student and business information system specialist leads efforts related to the student and business information system; initiates system tasks, identified failures and abnormalities, initiates corrective action, and recommends and controls system recoveries to reestablish effective operations. The student information system specialist understands, directs, and coordinates activities of internal and external client/server systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Act as a consultant and primary point of contact between TISD and district SIS/BIS vendor (Skyward) to diagnose and resolve complex data management problems and data integrity issues.
- Manage the student information system.
- Coordinate and provide training activities with other departments, produce necessary documentation.
- Facilitate the review of student information of various departments and receive verification documentation.
- Create custom reports using Crystal reporting, data mining, and data transfer services.
- Maintain clean data in the student and business information system.
- Maintain accurate documentation regarding SIS functions, operating procedures, and the dissemination of updates to users.
- Lead the design, installation, testing and implementation of solutions needed for access, applications, and security issues related to student information systems.
- Assist in assigned activities related to student enrollment procedures and pre-enrollments in IS system (family access, master schedule, gradebook, etc.).
- Problem solve and trouble-shoot activities for the production events related to student information systems.
- Maintain data feed between Skyward and system applications.
- Assist in the proactive monitoring of systems reliability and of system hardware/software. Correct all deficiencies through own efforts or outside support services as needed. Maintain a log of events.
- Develop, maintain, and monitor data base access system tools related to student information systems.
- Design the data interchange between systems at end of period events related to student information systems, such as, third party systems (OnData Suite, Lifetouch, Blackboard Communicator, Schoology API, Cardonex, etc.)
- Responsible for data archival procedures and implementation of restores.
- Provide support of Help Desk.
- Coordinate the input of data from outside vendors (pictures, state test scores, etc.) into the student information system.
- Support family access.
- Attend and participate in meetings, conferences, and seminars to be informed of new developments in managing information systems, especially in relation to state regulations governing student information and other state requirements.
- Follow TISD policies and guidelines.
- Performs other tasks as may be assigned by Supervisor/Superintendent.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. There may be alternatives to the below qualifications as the Board of Trustees may find appropriate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelors degree. Two or more years of experience working directly with school district level data information systems. Demonstrated competence in administrative software and database systems support and management/setup/maintenance/interfacing to include student records and other database systems. Experience working with multiple entities and organization to complete tasks and reports.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
Experience in each of the following systems:
- Knowledge of Skyward.
- Knowledge of Crystal Reports and SQL Reporting Services
- Application specification and analysis.
- Knowledge of database structure.
- Maintenance of complex, enterprise-scale client/server systems.
- Demonstrated experience in direct user support.
- Experience with the district’s student information data services software applications (grade reporting, scheduling, attendance, discipline).
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaborative team-base environments.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral formats with good interpersonal skills.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to implement office management software into daily routine. Ability to electronically manipulate data in production of reports. Ability to write reports in Crystal Reports to meet specific data demands of the district.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Excellent critical thinking and time management skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to work independently without direct supervision in a fast-paced environment with attention to detail.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.