Please contact the district or school with any questions regarding this position.
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF SPECIAL EDUCATION
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT POSITION
SALARY RANGE: $50,390.76 - $58,416.00
WORK DAYS: 192
Please visit our website at www.orendaeducation.org to learn more about our great organization!
Responsible for coordination, planning and preparation of compliance documents for students eligible for 504 and Special Education services, to ensure federal and state timeline requirements are met. Responsible for meeting district, state and federal guidelines for students being considered for and/or in 504 and Special Education.
- Set up ARD meetings with parents and required staff.
- Prepare ARD draft paperwork before ARD meetings, attend ARD meetings, complete deliberations during meeting, and complete ARD paperwork after meeting. `
- Assists campus administrator(s) to ensure compliance with ARD decisions guaranteed to students with disabilities by state/federal law; ensures compliance with local policies and procedures outlined for this population.
- Completes lists, forms, reports, PEIMS forms, and data required by the Special Education Office by due dates.
- Coordinating 504 referrals
- Organize and lead Section 504 teams and meetings
- Facilitating Section 504 evaluations and development of Section 504 plans
- Providing written notice to parents, including notice of procedural safeguards, before any actions are taken regarding identification, evaluation, or placement under Section 504 and obtaining consent
- Distributing Section 504 plans to appropriate staff
- Monitoring the implementation of Section 504 plans
- Scheduling annual reviews of each Section 504 plan every 2 years
- Scheduling period re-evaluations of all students eligible under Section 504 at least every three years
- Assuring that Section 504 plans move with the student to the next grade level and to new schools
- Coordinating training for campus staff on Section 504 requirements
- Conducting manifestation determinations when required for students eligible under Section 504
- Collect and maintain all Section 504 data, such as Section 504 plans, evaluation reports and related records, lists of eligible students, discipline records, etc.
- Assist with dyslexia evaluations, if requested
- Coordinate 504 due process hearings when requested
- Verify 504 students for the district prior to data submissions including 6-week attendance and PEIMS
- Verify 504 student state testing accommodations at least two weeks prior to each state assessment
- Follows end of year procedures for folder exchanges, summer testing, etc.
- Compile, maintain, and submit reports, records and other documents, as required.
- Work collaboratively with other members of campus and district staff to determine instructional goals and objectives and serve the needs of all students.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Participates in all continuing professional development.
- Analyze critical needs in assigned areas and work collaboratively to implement and improve programs.
- Protects confidentiality of students and their families.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Support the mission and vision of the campus and district.
- Adheres to policies and procedures of the campus and district.
- Comply with policies established by federal and state law, including but not limited to State Board of Education and local Board policy.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of ARD and 504 process and required paperwork along with special education and 504 state and federal laws.
- Three years of experience as a special education teacher or related experience.
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university and valid Texas Teacher Certificate in Special Education with required endorsements or required training for subject and level assigned.
- Some district-wide travel to multiple work locations as assigned.
- Duties involve walking, sitting, standing, in-door, and out-of-door activities and some lifting.
- Must have and maintain a level of general physical/emotional health which permits effective performance of duties.
- Regularly lifts and carries 1 - 50 pounds.
- Required high level of mental alertness and requires ability to tolerate high levels of stress.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefit options, including:
- Participation in the Texas Teachers Retirement System
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Basic Life, Term Life, Permanent Life and Accident Insurance
- Short-term and Long-term Disability
- 403b and 457b Investment Plans
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Account Options
- Critical Illness, Cancer Insurance
- Legal Services